There are 7 things about vegans that you need to know before adopting the vegan dietary plan, First and foremost, you need to understand what vegan diet plan is. Vegan diet plan is a vegetarian diet plan that shuns any form of animal or animal product consumption, from meat, fish, egg, dairy products, sausages or any animal derived product of food ingredient. Anyone who avoids these is called a vegan. Therefore, vegan is an entirely plant-based diet plan; vegans do avoid foods processed with animal products like white sugar and wine. It is more of a healthy lifestyle and philosophy of good living to core vegetarians than it is a diet plan to others.
Before we tell you these 7 things about vegans, you also need to know what vegan recipes comprise of. The vegan recipes are easy to get recipes, it is highly available in most grocery stores and are very affordable. It comprises of:
- Fruits: such as apples, bananas, grapes, oranges, cantaloupe, strawberries, mango, peaches, dried resins, etc.
- Vegetables: such as sweet potatoes, salad greens, carrot, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, etc.
- Grains: such as oats, cereals, rice, brown rice, barley, wheat, quinoa, couscous, etc.
- Legumes: such as lentils, kidney, pinto, garbanzo, peas, beans, melons, etc.
- Other Plant-Based Basics: such as plant milk, vegan soup, veggie burger, apple butter, jam, mustard, agave nectar, maple syrup, marinara sauce, snacks, yogurt, spices, etc.
The vegan diet for most people is a big deviation from their normal way of life and dieting, it is mostly adopted due to health reasons, health reasons such as diabetes and heart diseases. People also adopt it for immune detoxification and as a preventive mechanism from the above diseases. That is why you will get to notice these 7 things about vegans:
1. Low risk of diabetes and heart diseases: from the recipes listed above, you can see that a large percentage of these are vegetables and low sugar content food with less fat. Therefore, the possibility of a vegan suffering from cholesterol or diabetes is very low.
2. Healthy living through immune detoxification: detoxification is the purging out of harmful substances from the body especially the liver. Vegans have used this dietary plan to remove harmful substances like stored up from their tissues. Most athletes have used a vegan diet to detoxify their system from the harmful substances they were taken due to their rough ways of life. Therefore, vegans are healthy people.
3. They are opinionated: people usually have strong opinions when it comes to diet and foods. Most meat consumers will strongly criticize your motives and reasons for adopting the vegan diet plan. But most vegans would stubbornly hold to their own perception on what a healthy diet should be or would avoid their stares and questions.
4. Vegans do not suffer from vitamin B12 deficiency: Vitamin B12 occurs naturally in animal-based products and foods, and our bodies need this nutrient to produce blood cells, create DNA and healthy nerves. Because no plant contains vitamin B12, people who are not vegetarians harbor the misconception that vegans suffer from a deficiency of vitamin B12. This is a wrong belief because vitamin B12 is made available by bacterial fermentation. Therefore, food supplements made from bacterial sources of vitamin B12 contain more of the nutrients and these supplements are easily available to vegans.
5. Vegans are not prone to cancer: most people who are not vegetarians believe that due to the inadequacy of protein in most vegetables and plants, vegans who consume more of soy products are more expose to cancer due to estrogens. But the true about soy is that it does not contain estrogen but phytoestrogen. Phytoestrogen is a natural compound occurring in plants which helps to fight against the proliferation of cells caused by estrogens which naturally occur in animal cells. Therefore, vegans are not prone to cancer but animal consumers are.
6. The high tendency of becoming a minimalist: most animal products are the costliest on the grocery stores; therefore it won't be a surprise if your savings increases as a result of cutting animal products off your grocery list. But if you do not increase your intake of vegetables, legumes and fruits to cover for nutrients from animals because you want to save more, you are already living like a minimalist.
7. All vegans and not vegetarians: from the fact that vegan is a diet plan, make is one can adopt or drop for certain reasons other than the care for animals. Most vegans are adopting the vegan diet due to health reason such as heart disease, diabetes or for liver detoxifications. Therefore, if someone has adopted the vegan diet plan, he or she is not "a vegetarian" per say
All these are the basic 7 things about vegans that you need to know before adopting the vegan diet plan.